City Boards and Commissions
LATEST NEWS/COMMUNITY EVENTS/ANNOUNCEMENTS
THOMAS MITCHELL DAYS 2015
Mark you calendars for Thomas Mitchell Days 2015:
Our event is a little earlier this year but we are planning on a fun-filled weekend.
If you would like to volunteer to help plan the event,
the next meeting is Sunday, March 22nd, 2015 at 5:00 PM at the Community Center.
Check back for more details as the events are planned
The City of Mitchellville is accepting bids for mowing the City Cemeteries. Bids must be submitted by 4:00 pm on March 12, 2015 at City Hall, 204 Center Ave N, Mitchellville, IA 50169. Bids will be opened and considered at the March 16, 2015 City Council Meeting at 7:00 pm. The City reserves the right to reject any and all bids. Bid Form and Specifications and Required Scope of Services can be downloaded below:
WATER QUALITY IN DISTRIBUTION SYSTEMS
At the February 2nd, 2015 City Council Meeting, Dale Barrie for Iowa Rural Water Association shared some information regarding the on and off incidences of discoloration of the city's water. The attached links are some informational material that he shared with the City Council.
The basic points were:
- Our drinking water is safe.
- The sporadic discoloration incidences are not caused by just one issue, but by a cluster of events that have contributed to the aesthetic quality of our water.
- The events that were dealt with or that the City is currently dealing with include:
- The collapse of a water main on 2nd NE last September (a total collapse of a line is harder on the system than just a water main break)
- Several water main breaks last fall.
- Problems at the wells - the City had to stop pumping water from two of its five wells until they were repaired (which they have been repaired and are now fully operational.)
- Increased usage at the prison - sometimes a surge of usage that pulls water and disrupts the system.
- Any one of the events could cause a discoloration of the water and when you combine all of them it will certainly cause issues. Anytime there are changes in the water flow it can cause residue from the breaks to break loose and discolor the water.
- This problem is fairly common and happens frequently in a lot of towns.
- Mr. Barrie recommended that residents turn on the cold water to help clear their water because once it gets into their hot water heaters it will only take longer to clear up. He stated that it is going to take a while for the system to settle down and clear up.
- The link below is a report from Janet Gastineau of the IDNR who had taken samples on 1/27/2-15 in Mitchellville and had them tested at the State Hygienic Laboratory and the results were that our water is safe.
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE THE COMMUNITY EMAILS
Get all the latest information about upcoming Community Events.
CITY OF MITCHELLVILLE
Mitchellville offers smaller town living with quick easy access to urban amenities. Mitchellville has easy access to Interstate 80, the Des Moines International Airport, and Rail. We are just 18 miles from downtown Des Moines and 7 miles East of the Adventureland Amusement Park. We are part of the excellent SE Polk School District, a Member of the Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, and Des Moines Area Rapid Transit. Come see what Mitchellville has to offer!
1 mile South of I-80, exit 149
Located 12 miles East of Des Moines, Iowa
6 miles East of Altoona, Iowa
City of Mitchellville
204 Center Avenue N
Mitchellville, IA 50169